Here are some simple and ecological ideas for snacks for children to make at home without too much effort, fast and healthy solutions, suitable for the growing age when you need to eat energetic and balanced foods.
The most genuine, complete and healthy snacks for children, as we know, are those prepared at home: from the choice of the best and natural ingredients , to the preparation and storage, the home-made snack represents a safe meal, with guaranteed quality, without l ‘ palm oil .
And doing it in the company of children can become an opportunity for play and fun.
The most difficult thing, at times, is to make even the foods less ‘pleasing’ to the little ones appetizing, perhaps with a pinch of creativity and, why not, with an eye to the piggy bank, trying to recreate snacks and snacks with our hands. which children are generally greedy but which we usually buy on supermarket counters.
Snack recipes for children: our selection
In this small guide on the preparation of good snacks for children, we want to give you some tasty recipes and useful tips to succeed in the difficult task and make your children happy in a few simple steps.
Banana smoothie with cocoa
A delicious snack to be enjoyed in all seasons, at room temperature or cold, and with a more than tested taste.
This banana and milk smoothie is made even more delicious by the addition of cocoa , and it prepares really fast.
The ingredients you need are:
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa
- 2 glasses of milk
- 1 tablespoon of honey or sugar (if the banana is very ripe you can also omit it)
- Blend everything for a few minutes, pour into a glass with a straw and that’s it: here is a healthy, complete and delicious snack!
- A true concentrate of vitamins, proteins and calcium, essential for development and well-being.
Also delicious using vegetable , rice or soy milk, enriched with calcium derived from algae. To give even more taste and energy, you can add dried fruit, yogurt or cereals . And for super-gluttonous children a spoonful of vanilla ice cream!
The milk slice
Do you think it is so difficult to make some of the most ‘popular’ supermarket snacks at home? The answer is no! A little effort is enough to be sure that your children will eat a safe snack without preservatives or additives.
The milk slice, for example, is prepared with:
- 2 egg whites
- 60 grams of granulated sugar
- 50 gr of butter
- 60 grams of flour 00
- 4 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder for cakes
- 250 ml of fresh cream
- 3 teaspoons of honey
- Whip the sugar with the melted butter until the mixture is whitish and creamy.
- Add the egg whites one at a time, gradually also the flour, baking powder, cocoa, and mix until everything acquires a smooth and homogeneous consistency.
- Transfer the mixture to two baking sheets flattening the surface with a spoon.
- Bake at 200 ° for 4 minutes and let cool. Whip the cream sweetened with honey and spread a nice layer on both rectangles that you are going to join (one on top of the other) gently and taking care that they fit together well.
- Cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour and cut into smaller rectangles to serve your milk slices.
Simple, fun and useful for involving the little ones in an activity… chef-proof!
A fruit juice
Summer, greedy and above all healthy, here is a fruit and vegetable-based centrifuged ideal for all children, even those intolerant to milk, eggs or gluten. As if that weren’t enough, it is a perfect ploy to get those who usually turn up their noses in front of cabbages. The ingredients, in fact, are:
- 3 carrots
- 3 cabbage leaves
- an apple
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 tablespoon of sugar or sweet cream (optional).
- Put in the mixer already washed, peeled and cut into chunks or whole and unpeeled in the centrifuge, all the ingredients.
- The result is a very refreshing fruit and vegetable juice, rich in fiber and vitamins. A true concentrate of well-being that will make even the little ones happy!
The semolina pudding
Among the snacks for children to make at home, this one cannot be missing: a simple dessert, low in fat, excellent as a dessert or snack.
To prepare it you need:
- 70 gr of wheat semolina
- 3dl of milk
- 20 gr of butter
- 50 grams of sugar
- 2 eggs
- the grated zest of 1 lemon
- Boil the milk in a non-stick pan and add the butter and lemon zest. Once it comes to a boil, add the semolina and mix quickly with the help of a whisk.
- Cook over low heat for about a quarter of an hour.
- Remove from the heat and add the sugar and egg yolks while continuing to mix.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and add those to the mixture. Once ready, the mixture can be transferred into a mold and baked in a bain-marie for 40 minutes at 180 °.
Another simple idea to make for a healthy and balanced snack, also useful for consuming overripe fruit that risks ending up in the dustbin.
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 100 grams of brown sugar
- 100 gr of butter
- 150 grams of wholemeal flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 sachet of baking powder
- drops of chocolate
- Mix all the ingredients well, starting with the melted butter and sugar and proceeding with the eggs, mashed bananas, sifted flour, baking powder and chocolate chips at the end.
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf pan and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 45 minutes. Easy, good and perfect for a snack or breakfast, perhaps accompanied by a nice glass of milk.
Bread and jam
And now the timeless organic bread , butter and jam (or honey from organic production ) which remains one of the best solutions ever.
- Combine the right amount of carbohydrates, fats, sugars (and in the case of honey also proteins and precious minerals) to give children energy without weighing them down.
- Try it with wholemeal bread , even tastier on which to spread homemade Nutella .
Chia seed-based snacks
The chia seeds are from Central America, are little known in Europe, but are terrific from the nutritional point of view.
- Purchased in organic shops, they are very rich in vitamins, vegetable proteins, fibers and essential fatty acids.
- They become a rich and tasty snack soaked in milk or fruit juice : the seeds in fact release a sort of gel that transforms the liquid into a soft cream . An unusual snack but to try!
A fruit popsicle
For hot summer days, what’s better than a cool popsicle ?
To avoid suspicious dyes and additives, make them at home by blending fresh organic fruit with water and brown sugar . And then straight into the freezer, using the handy stick molds for sale in many hypermarkets and homeware stores!
If you prefer a savory snack, why not opt for rice or corn cakes, stuffed with lean sliced or, if you prefer the vegetarian version , with spreadable cheese, cherry tomatoes and olives ?
- The rice cake, a little insipid by itself, in the wholemeal version is more delicious and tasty, as well as that of corn.
- Even children with the most difficult tastes will like it also because it makes crack between the teeth!
Snacks for children: the pizza sandwich
One last idea, to go without fail! A salty snack that children will love. The request is always the same: pizza , pizza, pizza ! Please them.
Just take a slice of rustic bread, sprinkle it with tomato puree, a few slices of mozzarella, a sprinkle of oregano, a few minutes in the oven under the grill … et voila.
A tasty sandwich-pizza that imitates its texture and flavor but with decidedly reduced costs and times.
Other easy-to-make snacks
L ‘ nutrition education should start from an early age, children grow up healthy and without nutritional imbalances. Snacks and snacks are the Achilles heel of every mother because they must meet certain requirements: calm the sense of hunger without exhausting it, satisfy the desire for something tasty and, possibly, be as healthy as possible.
There are some snacks that are ideal for this purpose because they are healthy, fresh, satisfy the appetite of the moment and do not contain industrially elaborated or refined substances.
The perfect snack would be a seasonal fruit , an apple or a banana for example
Unfortunately, this is not ‘attractive’ in the eyes of children, so you have to strive to find even tastier and more interesting snacks for the taste of the little ones to alternate with fruit, so as to make the mid-morning break or afternoon snack more pleasant for them. . Better alone or dipped in yogurt or honey!
Another “smart” snack and certainly very attractive for your little ones is popcorn but be careful, to be healthy it should be made to burst thanks to hot air or, possibly, with a little oil or vegetable butter directly in the pot. Obviously, little or zero goes up.
A valid alternative such as apples, pineapples, bananas and any fruit you get the idea of slicing and trying to dry in the oven so prepared will be sweet and crunchy.
To this category we can also add walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, peanuts, cashews, pine nuts and pistachios : many imaginative variations to put in a bag and send to school with your child.
It is possible to do it yourself by combining oat flakes, sesame or linseed or pumpkin seeds previously roasted in a pan, sweetened with honey, yogurt or brown sugar, enriched with dried red fruits, chocolate chips, dried fruit or hazelnuts .
Everyone can create and test their imagination by creating small tasty balls or practical bars . In short, why buy those on the market if we can make a healthy home-made product with the delights we like best?
Yogurt is also in the ranking of healthy snacks but to make it more attractive to children it can be frozen. You can create small sticks of yogurt , to the taste of your choice, to freeze and give as a reward when you return from school.
Alternatively, you can also make many “morsels” simply by filling the ice tray with yogurt instead of water.
If you’re lucky enough to be dealing with kids who love vegetables, well, that’s it.
Delicious carrot or celery sticks, funny and imaginative figures made with a mix of different shapes and flavors. Everything is in appearance: a funny chick made of potatoes with peas instead of eyes, no one can resist!
In short, there are many “tricks” to make a snack healthy and, at the same time, inviting . The secret is to have time and imagination.
And you? Which recipe or snack do you start from to make your children’s snack ‘special’?